Catskill Park Trail Conditions - 2/28/19

Don’t put those snowshoes away yet! Snow fell this week in the Catskills and Hudson Valley and some more snow is possible Saturday through Monday.

Snow on top of ice on trails last weekend.

Snow on top of ice on trails last weekend.

Trail Conditions and Information: A layer of powder this week with potential for more snow on Saturday and Sunday means soft snow on top of ice on trails. Accumulation was fairly small at lower elevations and the higher elevations saw about 4”. With steeper trails you’ll find some well-established winter ice, crampons as well as snowshoes are recommended. Visit Catskill Center’s winter hiking tips and tricks page for some useful additional information.

Weekend Weather Forecast (reporting for Hunter, NY): Friday, partly sunny with a high of 31°. Friday night low around 23°, mostly cloudy with a small chance (20%) of snow. Saturday, a chance of snow (40%) throughout the day. Cloudy with a high near 31°. Saturday night, a chance of snow showers, mostly cloudy with a low of 24°. Sunday, a chance of snow (40%) in the afternoon. Partly sunny, high near 32°. Sunday night, snow likely, mostly cloudy with a low of 17°.

Road Status: Platte Clove Road is closed now through April. All roads in the Catskills see snow and ice—when driving, prepare for seasonal mountain weather throughout the Park.

Carry It In, Carry It Out: The Catskill Park is a carry it in, carry it out park—please be sure to hike out all of your trash and dispose of it properly!

The Catskill Guide to Leave No Trace: Essential skills and outdoor ethics are crucial for enjoying the Catskill Park in a safe and responsible manner. Read on to discover the top three Leave No Trace considerations this week.

·       Know Before You Go – Planning ahead for any adventure is necessary but planning ahead for a winter adventure can mean the difference between a great day out and a backcountry emergency. Warm liquids, such as tea or hot water are great for warming from the inside out. Extra layers are critical for staying dry and warm and will keep your group warm and happy. For more information visit the Catskill Interpretive Center on Route 28 in Mt. Tremper.

·       Keep Wildlife Wild –  Bears, and other mammals like squirrels are for the most part hibernating through the winter months. Even though many types of fauna are sleeping through the cold weather, you will still see many signs of life in the backcountry. With this in mind, keep plenty of distance between yourself and wildlife in the winter. These cold temperatures keep animals working hard to survive. Our presence can cause unnecessary stress, or worse, cause them to flee into dangerous environments such as water bodies. When in doubt, use the Thumb Trick to keep a proper distance.

·       Share Our Trails and Manage Your Pet – Skiing, snowshoeing, hiking and more. Plenty of options for wintertime adventures. Using the trails for your favorite activity can lead to unintended impacts to the snowy trails. With snow on the ground, skis and snowshoes are much safer to navigate the trails while also preventing post-holing. Post-holing makes the trail incredibly difficult to use for all users and should be prevented.

In An Emergency: Report backcountry emergencies, such as lost or injured hikers and forest fires to the DEC Forest Rangers at 518-408-5850 or call 911.

Weather: Be aware of and prepared for changing weather conditions in the Catskills. Stay current with the National Weather Service Weather Forecast. The NY Mesonet has stations in and just outside of Catskills that provide real time weather data and forecasts. Hudson Valley Weather provides detailed forecasts for the Hudson Valley and the Catskills.

Ski Slope Information: I Ski NY is a great resource for up-to-date snow depth on the four Catskill Mountain slopes. Check their reports here!

The Maurice D. Hinchey Catskill Interpretive Center (CIC) hosts a weather station in the MesoWest Network. Check the current weather conditions. The Center is located at 5096 Route 28 in Mt Tremper, NY. Through the winter, we’re open 7 days a week from 8 am to 3 pm. Come at the start of the day for discounted ski and snowboard lift tickets! The Center’s gift shop also carries trail mapstrail guides and more for purchase.  

Call us at the Center: 845-688-3369 or email us at

Most Recent Trail Update | NYSDEC Catskill Backcountry Info | CIC Online Gift Shop | Gear Suggestions